IMSA BULLETIN # 04-17
To: All ALMS Entrants, Star Mazda Entrants and Panoz Pro Series
From: H. Doug Robinson, Executive Director
Tim Mayer, Chief Operating Officer
Date: 17 September, 2004
Re: HANS Device
1) As of the 1st of January, 2005 all drivers competing in the above captioned IMSA series must wear the “HANS” device, during each phase of any IMSA sanctioned event, as supplied by Hubbard/Downing Inc., or their licensed agents
2) It is highly recommended that all drivers use the HANS device during all testing and other on track activities. It is also highly recommended that drivers us the HANS device at all events before the deadline above.
3) A variety of approved HANS device models are available to suit different car and driver configurations. No modifications of the HANS device are permitted unless approved and performed by Hubbard/Downing or their licensed agent. Post anchor-style clips must be fitted to drivers’ helmets. These clips are available from Hubbard/Downing and must be fitted according to their instructions. Tethers should be installed in accordance with the manufacturers’ specifications and in no case longer than the recommended lengths. Padding under the device should be minimal to achieve comfort and should be arranged so as not to impede the designed function of the shoulder belts. The use of air bladders as padding is prohibited as their accidental deflation could result in belts being loosened.
4) Relief from this regulation may be given should the manufacturer of a car demonstrate to IMSA’s satisfaction that the car geometry cannot work with the HANS device. However, if modifications can be safely made to the car to accommodate the HANS device, IMSA will require them to be made.
5) Questions regarding the HANS device can be directed to:
Hubbard / Downing, Inc.
5096 Peachtree Road
Atlanta, GA 30341
Phone: 770-457-1046 or 888-HANS-999
6) Representatives of Hubbard / Downing will be available at
Petit Le Mans, September 23rd / 24th / 25th, 2004, to assist drivers and teams
with any questions regarding fitment of the device