February 5, 1999
To All FM Racers:
We are not yet able to publish all of the details of the "TV Series," but we would like to get just a few facts out:
(1) The TV Series champion will win a new, model year 2000, Mazda Miata.
(2) A committee will select one driver from the top five finishers in the TV Series to receive a test with a pro team in a 1999 pro series spec, Swift Formula Atlantic. This will be the "Worldspeed Motorsports Rising Star Award."
(3) Other prizes, including cash awards for the top 10 drivers in the Series, will be announced before the first race, at Sebring March 19th.
(4) There may be a Masters Class for the TV Series, if there is sufficient interest. Let us know.
(5) There will not be a separate entry fee for the TV Series. All Star Mazda Series drivers in the espn 2 televised races will be counted.
(6) All six TV races will be scored, using the Star Mazda Series West points system.
We are enclosing the Professional Sports Car application forms for those who plan to run one or more of the Star Mazda Series pro sanctioned races. Please note that Sports Car has a rate for one race only or for the whole season, your choice. The drivers, of course, need a completed physical form. Everyone should fill out the release form, sign it and have it witnessed in front of a notary, and return it with the application forms. Crew licenses do not require the physical exam from a doctor, but everyone should complete the 1999 medical information form for use in case of emergency at track.
The big advantage to the notarized release form is, it is an annual release. Therefore, your 1999 hard card (driver or crew license) means you do not need to stand in line to sign waivers at each pro race. That will make the pro sanctioned events run smoother and be easier for the whole team. Hard cards are photo IDs. Therefore, a color photo of each applicant should accompany the paperwork. Put your name on it to avoid confusion. Do not worry about the size of the photo. The machine can adjust it to fit.
Try to get your application in to Professional Sports Car ASAP. Avoid last minute heroics.
With the amount of information that is sent out in each mailer, e-mail is looking more and more attractive. We are trying to avoid charging you to be on the mailing list like Toyota Atlantic and other Pro series do. You would be doing yourself and us a big favor by e-mailing us at email@example.com to tell us that you would like to get our mailings by e-mail. By doing this you will receive the mail days sooner, depending on where you are living. We will be able to e-mail you to let you know when there is news on our web site. By the way, our new site starmazda.com is up and running. It is the same web address, but we have heard that if you go through your favorites file or your heart file it wont come up. Because it is a new server, please re-type it in and hit GO! We are sure you will be pleased.
See you at the races!
Gary E. Rodrigues